The Big Lemon is one of the most innovative independent bus operators in the UK, at the forefront of the electric bus revolution. We are building our technical capability with a new workshop for maintenance of our fleet of buses in Bristol, and have an exciting opportunity for someone interested in furthering their career with a leadership role in a brand new workshop in Bedminster.
The Big Lemon started operations in Bristol in October 2022, adding three services in Bath a month later. In April we moved into new premises in Parson St with fantastic facilities including workshops, fuel tanks, a bus wash and offices, and then in June we started running a service in South Gloucestershire too.
We are a Community Interest Company, with an ambitious vision for public transport in the UK, and our Bristol & Bath operations are a key part of this. We have a fleet of 8 service buses, seven minibuses and two cars, operating on local bus services and Community Transport. Currently the fleet is diesel-powered, but we have exciting plans to introduce electric buses to the Bristol fleet in 2024, and have recently kitted out our own workshop ready to improve operations by servicing on-site.
We are building a wonderful team of friendly, happy people, and are looking for an experienced PSV technician to build our on-site engineering capability.
We are looking for candidates with an eye for detail and a passion for excellence, who enjoy their work. Honesty, reliability and good teamwork underpin everything we do and the successful candidates will be first and foremost friendly, hardworking individuals with a commitment to the highest standards of vehicle safety.
In addition, ideally you will have the following
- NVQ level 2 or equivalent PSV maintenance qualification is essential; level 3 or equivalent is desirable
- IRTEC qualified Bus and Coach Inspection Technician is desirable but not essential
- PCV licence is desirable but not essential
- First Aid at Work certificate is desirable but not essential
- Commitment to undertake training as required
Main Responsibilities of the Role:
- Investigate, diagnose and record vehicle mechanical & electrical faults
- Carry out preventative maintenance inspections, repairs and maintenance of our fleet vehicles
- Prepare vehicles for MOT
- Document faults and rectification work completed on our management software
- Respond to breakdowns or other operational issues as required
- Liaise with outside contractors and suppliers
- Undertake any other duties as required or as reasonably instructed by a manager.
We are looking for someone who can:
- Read and interpret instructions and service manuals
- Confidently use modern technical fleet management systems
- Have a duty of care for the health and safety of yourself and your colleagues at all times
- Always follow safety instructions in respect of your role and the business as a whole and report unsafe acts of omissions of safety
- Work collaboratively within our operational and office team in order to provide the best possible quality of maintenance for the safety of our staff and passengers.
The role is ideally suited to someone who has experience in the industry and is looking for a new challenge, taking on responsibility for a new workshop within a small and friendly team. In the beginning you will be working mainly alone in the workshop, although there will always be operational staff and supervisors on site to assist where necessary. In the future we aim to grow the workshop and take on another PSV Engineer to work alongside you.
- Family-friendly Monday – Friday rota
- 40 hrs per week plus overtime
- £22/hr, higher rate for out-of-hours
- 20 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- On-site parking
- Free membership of the Transport Benevolent Fund, offering health and financial support in the event of hardship
- The opportunity to work in a small friendly team delivering vital services for the community
The Big Lemon is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all candidates regardless of age, race, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, disability, religion or belief. We’re all different, and that’s a wonderful thing.
To apply for this role please send your CV with a covering letter to our Bristol office:
The Big Lemon, Rear of 137 Parson Street, Bedminster, Bristol BS3 5RB
or by email to email@example.com
Alternatively if you fancy popping in for a cuppa and a chat to find out more, give us a call on 0117 244 7337.