In January we launched a fundraising campaign to raise £100,000 for an electric bus to operate on our routes in Brighton & Hove using electricity from renewable sources. Just a few weeks later we have smashed our target and thanks to local residents we are now over halfway towards our second bus!
The money has been raised by selling two-year bonds of £100 each to members of the local community at an interest rate of 6% per annum. The response from the public has been incredible and with the best savings rates at only 2% it is no wonder they’re selling like hot cakes.
“We are all incredibly excited with the prospect of running zero-emissions electric buses in Brighton & Hove and humbled by the level of support we have received from the public. Last year was our best year yet and this year is already shaping up to be even better.
We would like to thank everyone who has supported us with our fundraising efforts the thought of running two electric buses in the city is very exciting indeed. We call on members of the public who might be interested to get in touch and help us improve air quality in Brighton & Hove.”
Tom Druitt, Managing Director, The Big Lemon CIC
“This is a fantastic achievement. The Big Lemon fundraising scheme has far exceeded expectations and we congratulate them. It would be great to see one or hopefully two electric zero emission buses running in Brighton later this year. They will show the way and we hope other bus companies will follow.”Andrew Boag, Chair of Brighton Area Buswatch
“It is great news that the Big Lemon has managed to raise funds to add electric buses to its fleet. We’ve been working closely with bus operators in the city to encourage them to invest in cleaner technology and they have responded positively which is helping to improve air quality as well as attracting external funding.”
Annie Sparks, Environmental Health Manager, Brighton & Hove City Council
“I’m really looking forward to driving electric buses on our routes in Brighton & Hove; it’ll be an exciting development for us and help us offer a better service to our passengers.
I’ve been with the Company nearly eight years and seen a lot of developments but this is the best one yet. I don’t know of anyone running electric vehicles on 100% renewable energy so it might even be a UK first.”
Ryan Wrotny, Big Lemon Bus Driver
Our electric bus plans have received a lot of media attention:
- Brighton & Hove Independent: “The Big Lemon raises £50k for electric buses” http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/9497-2/
- The Argus: They’re no lemons – bus bosses plan to go even greener” http://s.coop/electricbus
- GivingTimes: “Big Lemon on target for first electric bus” http://www.givingtimes.co.uk/big-lemon-on-target-for-first-electric-bus/
- Brighton & Hove News: “The public is on board as a Brighton company crowdfunds for first electricbus” https://t.co/3ulIfk0lPg
- Latest TV “Big Lemon Buses bid to go even greener with electric buses” https://t.co/EOK1H8uf7Z
- Brighton & Hove Independent: “An electric future for The BigLemon” http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/an-electric-future-for-the-big-lemon/